Monday, February 23, 2009

Weight & Night Terrors

It is funny how you think that your child is big or small depending on how they compare to another child their same age. Cassia has a cousin who is a month older but she looks tiny compared to Cassia. At Cassia's 4th month appt. she was 50th percentile in weight and height so all this time I just still thought that she was average - boy, was I wrong. She just had her 9th month appt.(although, in a week or so she will be 10 months old) and she is 40th percentile in height, which is average, but she is 7th percentile for weight. I was so suprised! The doctor looked her over and said that he wasn't too worried about her weight but that I shouldn't let her graze during the day and to give her 3 solid meals with 2 snacks. I know that it is not that big a difference but it really made me change my point of view on how much I am feeding her.

The other thing that happened a little bit ago was on a very average day we put Cassia down for bed at her normal time, 8:30 pm, and she went to sleep without a peep. Then at 10:30 pm she started screaming. Not whining or complaing, screaming as if she was stabbed or something. So I go running in and try to console her but she just kept screaming. I took her to Shaun and he checks her out and he says, "She isn't awake her limbs are lifeless." At that I was frantic and I called my father who is an MD, currently in child psychiatry, and he tells me to calm down and to not rush her to the emergency room and proceeds to tell me that it is most likely a night terror. To say the least, Shaun got her awake, calmed down, and she acted like nothing had happened. So, I breast fed her and put her right back to bed without a problem. The reason why I brought this up was so that other people can be aware of this in case something similar like this happens to your child. My dad also sent me this link to additional information regarding night terrors if your are interested. http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep/a/night_terrors.htm

7 comments:

The Fullmers Four said...

Wow, it sounds like Owen has been going through the same things. Today was his 12 month check up, and he is now in the 20th % for weight, 40th for height, and 80th for head circumference. What can I say, the kid has got a big head *must be full of brains.

And, he has been randomly screaming while he is dead asleep. I keep wondering what such a little guy could be dreaming about to make him scream that much.

The Fullmers Four said...

Oh, by the way, I tagged you! Play along if you like. :0)

Marc and Lori Johnson said...

Is a night terror the same thing as a nightmare?

Clinton and Danielle said...

How the heck are you guys??? Your little girl is getting so big (after reading this post, relatively speaking, "big"). Anyway, just wanted to post so that you knew I was thinking about you!
Miss you guys!

Matthias and Jenn said...

Ok so if Cassia is in the 7th percentile for weight? what exactly does it mean if Aphia is in the 9oth percentile?

Anonymous said...

Gotta love kids!!!!

Cameron and Carly said...

You can peep at us anytime you want. Your girl is so cute. We need to hangout sometime.

Daddy teaching Cassia how to crawl

Daddy teaching Cassia how to crawl
Its all over if he falls!

Black & White at the beach

Black & White at the beach

Look what came out of the dryer!

Look what came out of the dryer!
Doesn't she fit nicely in there

Smiling at Dad

Smiling at Dad

First Bath

First Bath
She liked it a lot

Baby Cassia & Daddy

Baby Cassia & Daddy
Sweet little thing

Two young kids

Two young kids
It looks like he might crush her